McLarty Associates welcomes Vanessa Rubio to Northern Latin America practice
July 31, 2020
McLarty Associates is pleased to announce a senior addition to our longstanding focus in Mexico and Northern Latin America. Vanessa Rubio, a former senator and longtime senior government official in Mexico, joins the McLarty team as of August 1.
Latin America has been at the core of McLarty Associates’ work for more than two decades. Even amid the current challenges posed by the COVID pandemic, we have been engaged intensely in the region, helping clients reopen their manufacturing facilities, navigate the contours of policy changes, and helping multinational companies from the region with their work in Europe, Asia, and Latin America
Vanessa Rubio joins MA as a Senior Advisor, following 26 years of experience in the Mexican Government. She served as undersecretary of finance, undersecretary of foreign affairs in charge of Latin America, undersecretary of development, and most recently as a federal senator.
Vanessa brings deep understanding of the intricacies of government policy, politics, and players in Mexico and other Latin American countries.
She is also well connected with the Mexican business community, which should help our clients leverage B2B outreach throughout the region.
Vanessa joins our strong Northern Latin America team, which includes veteran diplomats, policymakers, and businesspeople with decades of experience working at the highest levels throughout the region.
OUR NORTHERN LATIN AMERICA TEAM
- Thomas F. “Mack” McLarty, III, served as President Clinton’s special envoy for the Americas and has been an investor in Mexico for decades.
- John D. Negroponte served as US ambassador to Mexico and Honduras and was a key NAFTA negotiator.
- Nelson W. Cunningham served as special advisor on Latin America to President Clinton and has lived in seven countries in the region.
- Stephen C. Donehoo, a former military intelligence officer focusing on Latin America, leads our work in Northern Latin America.
- Jorge Guajardo, a Monterrey native, served for six years as Mexico’s ambassador to China as well as consul general in Austin, TX.
- Vanessa Rubio served as Mexico’s undersecretary of finance, undersecretary of foreign affairs in charge of Latin America, undersecretary of development, and most recently as a federal senator.
- Kezia McKeague served as director of government relations at the Council of the Americas. She has lived and worked in Mexico and Cuba.
- Alma Caballero, a Mexicali native, served as the Latin America policy advisor for a global law firm, at the Brookings Institution, and the Embassy of Mexico in Washington.
- Rafael Nieto, based in Bogotá, served as vice minister of justice in Colombia and as a senior advisor in Colombia’s Ministry of Defense.
- Saúl Feder, based in Mexico City, served as minister for energy affairs at the Embassy of Mexico in Washington.
- Samuel Lewis, based in Panama City, served as vice president and foreign minister of Panama.
- Dr. Luis Téllez, a member of our Board of Counselors based in Mexico City, served as the CEO of the Mexican Stock Exchange and as secretary of communications and transportation, secretary of energy, and chief of staff to the president of Mexico.