Moniz and McLarty launch energy consultancy
For Immediate Release
July 14, 2017
Washington (July 14) – Thomas F. ‘’Mack’’ McLarty III, Chairman and Co-Founder of McLarty Associates, and former Secretary of Energy Ernest J. Moniz are proud to announce the launch of their strategic partnership in EJM Associates, a premier energy consultancy.
EJM Associates, based in Washington DC, provides strategic advice to clients on energy policy, geopolitical risk assessment, and systems innovation. The new firm’s leadership team is respected across the political divide for developing government policies in partnership with industry and academia to propel innovation and attract transformative energy investment.
The MA – EJM partnership will provide McLarty Associates clients with strategic advice on energy policy and identify the best technologies to drive a low-carbon energy future, according to Nelson W. Cunningham, President and Co-Founder of McLarty Associates.
“Ernie’s got a rare knack for digging into hard problems, taking in varied perspectives, drawing out key issues, and bringing people together,” Mr. McLarty said. “I spent years as the CEO of a Fortune 500 energy company, and when he outlined his vision for a new consulting firm, we were so impressed that we not only offered to partner with him, but also to invest.”
“Getting the support of someone of Mack’s integrity and depth of knowledge is a privilege and honor,” Secretary Moniz said. “EJM will develop practical, sustainable solutions to the world’s energy needs, and we’re proud to be partners with the talented group of professionals at McLarty Associates and look forward to working with their global base of clients.”
Dr. Moniz, President and CEO of EJM, is joined at the firm by Melanie Kenderdine and Joseph Hezir, principals with successful track records of achievement and innovation in government, academia, and the private sector.
- Ernest Moniz was the thirteenth Secretary of Energy, serving under President Barack Obama from 2013 to 2017. In that role, he advanced energy technology innovation, nuclear security and strategic stability, cutting-edge capabilities for the American scientific research community, and environmental stewardship. He strengthened the Department’s strategic partnership with its seventeen national laboratories and with the Department of Defense and the broader national security establishment. He served on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology faculty from 1973 until becoming Secretary of Energy was the Founding Director of the MIT Energy Initiative (MITEI) and Director of the Laboratory for Energy and the Environment. Dr. Moniz is co-chairman, with Sam Nunn and Ted Turner, of the Nuclear Threat Initiative, and founder of the nonprofit Energy Futures Initiative, which promotes innovation in energy technologies and business models.
- Joseph Hezir was the Department of Energy’s Chief Financial Officer and Senior Advisor to the Secretary from 2013 to 2017, overseeing a 200-person staff and a $30 billion budget. Mr. Hezir also played a key role in cross-Departmental management processes, serving as Chair of the Loan Program Risk Committee, Vice-Chair of the Credit Review Board, and member of the DOE Operating Committee, the Energy Council and Cyber Council.
- Melanie Kenderdine headed the Energy Department’s Office of Energy Policy and Systems Analysis from May 2013 to January 2017, and served concurrently as Energy Counselor to the Secretary. In her capacity as energy counselor to the Secretary, Ms. Kenderdine provided key strategic advice on a broad range of issues across the Department of Energy including Mission Innovation, a global initiative that supports transformational clean energy RD&D; North American grid integration and security; and the modernization of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.
About McLarty Associates:
McLarty Associates is the strategic advisory firm led by former Clinton White House Chief of Staff Thomas F. “Mack” McLarty, III, former Deputy Secretary of State John D. Negroponte, and President and Co-Founder Nelson W. Cunningham.
Our work lies at the nexus of business and policy, and we provide diplomatic solutions. As a pioneer in the field of business diplomacy, we have built an institutionalized and professional platform to help our clients around the world.
Since 1998, MA has built a multinational and multilingual team of over 70 seasoned international specialists with expertise in all the major markets of the world, drawing from the experience of more than 30 ambassadorships and 10 cabinet-level posts. And our team is multipartisan, with experience working in Republican and Democratic administrations in the US as well as across the political spectrum in key global markets.
Over the years, our team has served nearly 300 clients throughout the world. Our clients are generally Fortune 200 companies with substantial global footprints, but we also advise emerging companies venturing abroad for the first time. We have been delivering measurable results for our clients for almost twenty years, and many of our clients have been with us for nearly that long.
About EJM Associates:
EJM Associates LLC, is a strategic consulting firm located in Washington, DC, led by former Secretary of Energy Ernest J. Moniz. EJM provides advisory services to businesses, organizations, and governments on a range of energy policy, innovation, and security issues in all major markets.
We offer real-world solutions on energy policy, geopolitical risk assessment, and systems innovation. EJM’s leaders are respected across the political divide for developing government policies in partnership with industry and academia to propel innovation and attract transformative energy investment.
EJM team services include:
- Assessing the impact of government policies and regulations on energy business investment planning.
- Forging successful public-private partnerships to spur energy innovation.
- Finding follow-on investment for breakthrough technologies funded by governments.
- Crafting strategies to recruit and train the 21st century energy workforce.
- Conducting comprehensive systems analyses, making organizations more efficient and financially secure.