McLarty Associates is one of the few firms of its kind with a dedicated food and agriculture practice run by experts in the field. We advise corporations at all levels of the agricultural supply chain including seeds, equipment, processing, storage and distribution, and retail sales. We also advise investors and non-profits in this dynamic and complex sector.
The food and agriculture sector continues to grow in importance and complexity as the need to feed the world’s growing population continues to increase. While the increased demand for food presents opportunities, many challenges exist in the industry in the forms of local protectionism, health regulations, government interference and market-entry barriers. McLarty Associates’ knowledge of the food and agriculture industry, our familiarity with international trade rules and our foreign market experience allow us to help companies and investors overcome these challenges and achieve success overseas.
Helping Clients Succeed
- Ensuring Market Access: In Colombia, we collaborated with the US government to resolve a long-standing meat trade policy issue. In India, we worked to convince regulators to move toward Codex standards and sound science in food safety regulations.
- Building Public-Private Partnerships: In China, we co-founded the US-China Agriculture and Food Partnership, a leading strategic-level industry entity designed to improve trade and investment opportunities for both US and Chinese firms.
- Boosting Profitability: We assessed a Russian dairy firm’s business methods to increase productivity.
- Building Relationships: We established new relationships between a client and major multilateral food agencies, including the World Health Organization, the Pan-American Health Organization, and the Food and Agricultural organization of the United Nations.
Specific areas of expertise include:
- Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) Measures , including quarantine rules
- WHO and Codex issues, including nutrition standards
- Market access issues, such as Tariff Rate Quotas
- Government agriculture policy
- International agricultural development
- Emerging agricultural technologies
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Agricultural export promotion
- Anti-dumping/countervailing duties
- Product labeling
- Intellectual property
- Technical specifications
- Food safety standards and biotechnology issues
Our Food & Agriculture Team
Eric Trachtenberg leads our Agriculture and Food practice. He previously served as a U.S. Foreign Agriculture Service Officer in Beijing, Moscow, and Taipei and was Vice President for International Trade Policy at the USA Poultry and Egg Export Council.
Martin Cargas, a respected figure in Washington on international business issues, served as Vice President for Global and Environmental Affairs at Anheuser-Busch Companies for a decade.