McLarty Media, our film and entertainment practice, advises major film studios, directors, producers and screenwriters on issues of international interest, covering story development, authentic script content, unique location requirements, and complex production logistics. Our team includes former diplomats, government officials, and intelligence experts, with decades of international experience, who are practiced in working with filmmakers. McLarty Media remains engaged throughout the production process, resolving any problems that a big, complex, and demanding film creates from prep to principal photograph to marketing and distribution, and ensuring both major success for the studio and the promised opportunities and gains that a motion picture can deliver for foreign locations.
McLarty Media’s services include:
- Script development with a focus on accurate, detailed and sophisticated understanding of story lines touching on political, cultural, historic or social sensitivities
- Helping to organize and execute location scouts in most challenging and politically or culturally hard-to-access destinations
- Navigating political and diplomatic complexities to secure permission for filming in international locations
- Facilitating customs, immigration, and other logistical issues related to foreign shoots
- Exploring and securing possible rebates, incentives or production-related services to help contain costs associated with new or hard-to-access locations
- Counseling cast and crew for travel and work in unfamiliar countries and film locations
- Providing security assessments and coordination for production and for studio approvals or production insurance requirements
- Handling on-the-ground trouble shooting during production
- Engaging with studio marketing and media relations to prepare release strategies, best-position films internationally, protect studio interests, and prepare cast members for press availabilities and promotional activities
Past and present clients include Universal Studios, Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros., 20th Century Fox, DreamWorks, Sony and others. Films include The Kingdom, Miami Vice, The Kite Runner, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Safe House, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, White House Down, Kill the Messenger, and Rosewater, as well as numerous other projects in various stages of research, writing, location scouting and general development.
Our Film & Entertainment Team
Richard Klein, an international security and Middle East affairs expert, served at the Departments of State and Commerce during the Clinton Administration. Mr. Klein is called upon by many major studios and production companies on varied script content, location and marketing needs.
Stephen C. Donehoo, a former military intelligence officer and paratrooper, is an expert on Latin America. He has worked closely with our film clients on a wide range of international action and suspense projects, including Miami Vice and an upcoming Warner Brothers project based in South America.
Lihui Zhang heads our Beijing office and was a pioneer of the Chinese movie market with Warner Brothers for over 15 years. As the longest serving Chinese National Executive of a Hollywood studio, she maintains a broad network of government and media contacts throughout China.
Our Film Advisory Board
Luis Falcon previously served in the Clandestine Service of the CIA for nearly 30 years. He has extensive experience in and exceptional understanding of counterterrorism, counterintelligence, and counternarcotics operations.
Patrick Heffernan, a United States diplomat for 13 years, has served in the Foreign Service, the NSC, and the Treasury Department’s Office of Terrorist Financing and Financial Crimes.
Juan C. Zarate is a former Deputy Assistant to President George W. Bush and Deputy National Security Advisor for Combating Terrorism.
Jeffrey Starr, a cybersecurity and analytics executive, has more than 20 years of government experience in the national security and intelligence fields.